Our trip to Goa was lovely despite the fact that both of us took turns being sick for most of it. For those of you who have travelled in India, I'm sure you will empathize with us as you understand that being sick here is part and parcel of the game. We had a lovely time with my mom's side of the family. As a child I had heard stories of my uncle's political nature and boyish antics, but I wasn’t able to understand the context of those stories until Jon and I discussed and shared ideas of anarchist philosophy with my uncle. Let's just say that the stories I had heard about my uncle starting a bon fire in his youth specifically to burn all his official papers and documents (i.e. birth certificate etc), was given more meaning within the context.
We stayed in Arombol for the most part, which is a tourist beach town in Northern Goa. Phoebe, Winnie, Sophie and I stayed there briefly three years ago. This one is a personal note for them: Remember the fresh water lake across from the ocean that trailed into the wilderness of the jungle? We saw it just after the monsoon season ended and it has been reduced to about two thirds its size, with many more cafes and lounge bars around it. It made me sad to see it like that.
We stayed in a guest house facing a field and then the beach, which was a two minute walk away. We were in Goa just as the tourist season was beginning and picking up speed so we were able to enjoy the remainder of nature's peace and quiet before all hell broke loose and commodities dominated the scene as they are marketed everywhere from the roadside to the beach itself which becomes covered and claimed by various enterprises. The water was deliciously warm, the sky magnificently clear, and the heat, ohhh the lovely heat. I'm writing this from Dharamsala in the Northern portion of India, where sadly, the heat is a distant dream as I sit in my woollen socks with the view of the snow capped Himalayas in front of me.
So since this internet connection is ceasing to be dodgy the rest of the pictures will have to wait for later. I'll rearrange these and add more when the internet decides to co-operate
In the meantime I hope some of you are satiated with the what is here
We stayed in Arombol for the most part, which is a tourist beach town in Northern Goa. Phoebe, Winnie, Sophie and I stayed there briefly three years ago. This one is a personal note for them: Remember the fresh water lake across from the ocean that trailed into the wilderness of the jungle? We saw it just after the monsoon season ended and it has been reduced to about two thirds its size, with many more cafes and lounge bars around it. It made me sad to see it like that.
We stayed in a guest house facing a field and then the beach, which was a two minute walk away. We were in Goa just as the tourist season was beginning and picking up speed so we were able to enjoy the remainder of nature's peace and quiet before all hell broke loose and commodities dominated the scene as they are marketed everywhere from the roadside to the beach itself which becomes covered and claimed by various enterprises. The water was deliciously warm, the sky magnificently clear, and the heat, ohhh the lovely heat. I'm writing this from Dharamsala in the Northern portion of India, where sadly, the heat is a distant dream as I sit in my woollen socks with the view of the snow capped Himalayas in front of me.
So since this internet connection is ceasing to be dodgy the rest of the pictures will have to wait for later. I'll rearrange these and add more when the internet decides to co-operate
In the meantime I hope some of you are satiated with the what is here
Jon reading on the beach by the path leading to our rooms,a temple in the background with some cows meandering along the beach
The lady waits while the fish are being removed from the netshe will be the one who sells them in the market
the whole process laid along the beach-more nets being pulled out as the old ones are laid out to dry behind the men
(and tourists like myself standing and watching, trying not to get in the way)



The men pull the nets out by re-positioning these bamboo rods along the line,
they lean against the rods and walk backwards pulling the nets out

A restaurant shack on the beach -this calf walked in to sniff around-the owner started barking orders to the boy working the tables, telling him to get rid of the cow
the boy barked back about how he was indulging us as we took pictures
While this restaurant was further up from the beach, many are right on the beach,
sea creatures such as crabs sometimes scuttle past your feet under the table along with the zillions of stray dogs


No comments:
Post a Comment